Ibadan Book Club, a book promotion platform under the Society of Young Nigerian Writers (SYNW) is pleased to announce a special anthology of poems, art works and essays in honour of the late Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogunguniso 1, the immediate past Olubadan of Ibadanland.
Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogunguniso 1, (26 August 1928 – 2 January 2022) was a Nigerian monarch who sat as the 41st Olubadan of Ibadan following his coronation on 4 March 2016.
Saliu was born as the first of 17 children of Raji Olayiwola and Suwebat Amope Adetunji on 26 August 1928 in Ibadan, Oyo State. He grew up learning vocational jobs until he took up fashion designing as a means of living after moving into Lagos. While working as a fashion designer, Saliu delved into musical record marketing until in 1960 when he founded his first of three record label imprints called Baba Laje Records which housed notable fuji music acts including Dauda Epo-Akara, Wasiu Ayinde Marshall and KS1- Malaika.
Prior to his coronation as the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Saliu Adetunji was the Balogun of Ibadan land. He died in Ibadan on 2 January 2022, at the age of 93.
To this end, (a) collection of poems, art works and essays is/are thus being prepared to honour him and recognize his contributions to humanity especially the people of Ibadanland in particular. Hence, friends, well-wishers, fans, followers, colleagues are thereby invited to contribute poems, artworks and essays of significant insights on any specific or broad themes relating to Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogunguniso 1, his ideology and legacy.
- Language Medium – English and Yoruba
- Entry Form – Poetry/Essays/Art Works
· No restriction on themes but strictly on Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji,Aje Ogunguniso 1
· Poems should be between the minimum of 20 lines and maximum of 40 lines while
· Essays should be between the minimum of 150 and the maximum of 300.
· Entrants should send the following information alongside their entries
v. Phone Number
vi. Where you heard about the Call for entries
ix. Name of school or university if any
- A Sentence of not more than 50 words describing the poem/Artwork(s).
- Permission to publish your work among the shortlisted entries.
- Title of your mail should be addressed as “Entry in Honor of Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji, Aje Ogunguniso1″
- All entries must be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org and also copy email@example.com.
- Deadline for Submission is 15th of March, 2022.
- Any signs of plagiarism will disqualify the entrant.
- Submissions must be only in MS Word
- Organizer’s decision is final
- The Anthology is expected to be out around April of this year.
- Award of Certificates of Participation to all Entrants.
- Award of Certificates of Excellence to only the shortlisted entrants.
- Only shortlisted work(s) will be published in e-book format
- Only the published Poets/Essayists will be invited for a special reading in honour of the former Olubadan of Ibadanland.
- Automatic membership into the Ibadan Book Club (IBC).
For more inquiries please call Ayobami Odunayo on 08164148985