UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned the attack on Abuja- Kaduna passenger train, which reportedly resulted in several people killed, injured, or abducted last Monday.
Nigerian Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, says so far, about eight persons have been confirmed dead and 41 hospitalised due to the attack.
“We don’t have all the figures of missing persons, kidnapped and those injured at the moment.
“The numbers we have is that there are eight casualties. There are about 41 persons in different hospitals and the total number of passengers who got tickets are 398,’’ he said.
Guterres, in a statement, extended his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims, wished a prompt recovery to the wounded, and called for the immediate release of those abducted.
The secretary-general urges the Nigerian authorities to spare no effort in bringing those responsible for these crimes to justice.
He reaffirmed the solidarity and support of the United Nations to the Government and people of Nigeria in their fight against terrorism, violent extremism, and organised crime.
Similarly, the secretary-general strongly condemned the attacks on the Kaduna International Airport last Saturday.
Kaduna State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the attack in a statement last Saturday.
Aruwan said troops stationed within and around the airport responded and repelled the attackers.
However, the bandits unfortunately shot and killed a member of staff stationed at the perimeter fence, who raised the alarm on sighting them.